Sunday, January 31, 2010

On Australia Day ambushes, Courtesy and Facebook...

Well I'm a little bored tonight so I thought I would espouse my views yet again.

Firstly, thank you to the people who are following my blog and to those who have left comments. It's nice to know I'm getting through to people in a nerdy, geeky kind of way.

So on Australia Day the Premier of South Australia, Mike Rann, was due to show up and open an art exhibition on Greenhill Road. Who should show up but the woman who has accused the Premier of having an affair with her (a claim he has denied). Now here is where things get interesting. Somebody alerted the media that she would show up so naturally a huge gaggle of press showed up. This tipped off the Premier's people and they told him. Suddenly Mr. Rann became too busy. Now poor Russell Starke (and I use the term loosely as his reviews of both shows I've been involved in and others have been absolutely horrid at times) got all flappy and ordered this woman and her mother out of his gallery. You couldn't write a better script for "Home And Away" if you tried.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind sticking the boot into pollies when they deserve it but in this instance I don't see that Mr. Rann had any choice. It would have been a spectacle. Although the lady in question swears she wasn't going to do anything, just her mere presence there would have ruined the day for Starke, his gallery and the other guests who wanted to see the exhibition. If this lady wants to keep stymying the Premiers plans and his outings then she's going to need some serious tread on her shoes before March 10. And in the end it will only serve the Premier as the public will get sick of her showing up everywhere like a crazed stalker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rehearsing for the Mahler 8 has been interesting to say the least. It bothers me that some (and I'm only talking a small handful here) seem to have lost their manners. You're there to rehearse. That means you sing, you listen to what the chorus master has to say and you apply it to what you're doing. But it seems to me that some people think that rehearsing means checking Facebook every 5 seconds (I love Facebook but even I can stay off it for an hour and a half), sending text messages, playing Nintendo DS or even knitting! For crying out loud. It's driving me nuts. Even if it's not your section that's rehearsing, show some respect to the people around you or to the section that IS rehearsing, and the funny thing about choir rehearsals is that what is said to one section can often be carried over to another.
To me it's all about the learning. Working with top people and enjoying the experience. It's sad that others just see it as another gig and they just can't be bothered. Well buddy, there's the door- don't let your butt hit it on the way out...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone seems to be telling me what I can and can't say on my status update so I may as well return the favour. Here's some things I DON'T want to see on a status update...


- Poor spelling. Seriously, there are plenty of sites to help you spell. Use them. You look ignorant and stupid.

- Rhetorical conversations with a person who won't read it ("Hey smelly lady next to me on the bus- TAKE A SHOWER!")

- Incessant plugs for shows you're doing. I don't mind event pages. I don't mind you plugging it a couple times but just LEAVE IT AT THAT!!!

- Over affectionate status to your partner. Ok, you love them. Great. You want to share it with the world. Awesome. BUT NOT EVERY STATUS UPDATE!!!

- Random Quotes. Nothing wrong with quoting a favourite line from a film or tv show. Please let us know though where it's from. Or do you just want people to ask you where it's from....?

- Bowel movements. It's bad enough when we get your diet plan everyday but I really don't need to know about the belch that rattled the windows or the fart that blew a whole in the wall and killed the cat.

and finally....

- Abbreviations. Not all of us speak in netspeak. Take the extra 5 seconds out of your day and write it out fully. Please

BTW- I'm probably guilty of at least 3 of the above but I have learnt my lesson. I think... naaaaaaaah.....

Until next time campers!

2 comments:

  1. Oops, I'm definitely guilty of a couple of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think we all are Kelly, and occasional breaches are fine but it's the people who do it constantly that give me the irrits...

    ReplyDelete