Friday, August 23, 2013

Advice on your first teaching prac....

 I have the most amazing friends. One of them- who wanted to remain anonymous- posted me a letter (yes, an actual handwritten letter sent via snail mail!). They are an experienced teacher who knew I was feeling apprehensive about my first prac. I've asked them if I can share this. I hope you pass this on to any teaching students you know. This is golden advice you are unlikely to get in a classroom.

Dear Rodney,
                    I wanted to send you every good wish as you embark on your first official teaching prac. While it will be super scary in many ways (especially the lead-up to it and the first day in particular) and nothing on God's green Earth can remove that fact, I thought I would write anyway with a few things/words of encouragement you can take with you!

 To feel nervous is completely normal and is no reflection on ability or professionalism. I know very experienced, brilliant teachers who feel nervous at the beginning of every school year (which I was surprised to learn because I thought I thought it was only me!). Of course it is not a fabulous feeling and probably one we'd all like to avoid but it is, hormonally speaking, our body's way of preparing us for improved performance, so quite necessary for our survival. The great news is, it doesn't last forever. You will start to relax- even on a teaching prac!

Practical advice

Teaching in itself is stressful, as you know, and the teaching prac, is a stressful time; more so than regular teaching in some ways because of the added pressure of constant assessment of performance. Give yourself the best chance of being successful and surviving it by doing some very basic stuff (which may seem stupid/ laughable). Your body can't function without sleep, good food and water. Well that's not entirely true- it will, because the human body is an amazing machine and will compensate for the abuses that we heap on it. The next 3 weeks is not the time to be abusing it. It will already be under enough pressure.

 So....... no all night movie marathons, 48 hour weekend raves, etc. Of course, you don't have to give up your entire social life and have absolutely no fun but just be aware of getting plenty of quality sleep. Eat proper food with proper nutritional value- a Big Mac does not count as "meat and three vegetables! Drink water. That's pure unadulterated H2O (well, as close as possible). Boring but absolutely essential. Keep a bottle with you in class and one on standby in the staffroom in case you leave your first one in a classroom somewhere. The amount of talking teachers do (even in quieter lessons) is immense so you will need it just for vocal health. The consequences of a teacher being "too busy to worry about it" are dire. You're gonna have to trust me on that one.

 End of practical/physiological advice. Time to segue into another section with a cleverly placed famous quote!

 "The best laid-schemes o' mice and men, gang aft agley" (especially when teenagers are involved). You may have a unit of work consisting of brilliant lessons all linked to the Australian Curriculum with outcomes that have made your lecturers weep with joy and give you High Distinctions. You are so looking forward to sharing everything you have lovingly prepared with your students. Your students, however, don't know and/or care about any of this and may indeed tell you so to your face- yes- even in a Christian school. As disappointing as it is, every teacher understands this; that kids will be kids and it has nothing to do with that teacher's ability to plan and programme. Therefore, if a lesson doesn't quite go the way you had planned and kids start behaving like the spawn of Satan, this will not count against you. It happens to all teachers at some point and is a chance to practice flexibility!

 Some facts and figures (mostly facts though!)

 Remind yourself of these facts regularly- before and during the prac.

1) I have done everything I can to be prepared in terms of the content and structure of what I'm going to be teaching.

2) I have attended all my observation days and therefore know many of the students, staff and the general running of the school.

3) I have, in fact, already successfully taught a few lessons at a moment's notice and made connections/bonds with certain classes.

4) I have already proven skills and experience in teaching/managing/catering for large groups of people with individual needs and varying abilities so I can call on these skills and experience in the classroom.

5) I have an excellent supervising teaching (teacher mentor) who is friendly and has been willing to take me on as a student teacher in a fair and encouraging way.

6) I have been provided with a teacher educator whose job it is to encourage me and who I can go to if I need extra advice/support at any time.

7) I am doing my first teaching prac at a Christian school so will be surrounded by prayer support from "go to whoa".

 But when all's said and done over the three weeks you will actually have (dare I say it??!!) fun. The student teacher has the advantage of being someone a bit new, fresh and exciting for the kids and many will respond to that and want to please you in the way they establish positive relationships with you and the work they produce.

 There will be lots of great "moments", so after the first day (or even ON the first day if your body will allow it).....

 ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really looking forward to doing this next year Rodney, especially after reading though this letter!

    ReplyDelete