Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mahler, Walking and the Leader Of The Pack

This fitness kick I'm on has been really helpful. I can't believe that after a solid fortnight I'm still sticking at it. Mind you, not only did I have to buy a $190 pair of sneakers but a $30 pair of socks to make sure my walks didn't end in agony every time.

Tonight though was something special. I started walking as the sun went down and my iPhone was playing the opening strain of Mahler's Ninth Symphony. I walked along a straight stretch of road that I have walked a few times before. As the first movement gave way to the second I suddenly realised that I had been so immersed in the world of Mahler that I had not noticed that the sun had gone down and I was now walking in darkness. I started heading home. I didn't care about the dogs barking or the sound of the traffic and as the second movement gave way to the third I decided to walk until the end of the movement bringing my walking time to around an hour. I didn't feel tired at all. To be honest, I could have probably walked for the entire symphony but sense prevailed. During that third movement I looked up at the sky and saw the stars for the first time since I started walking- with Mahler's glorious end of the universe soundtrack playing I actually stopped to take in a big lung full of air. Just one of those moments when you sense something bigger out there. There's an endgame in here somewhere, I can just sense it.

I have also been trialling contact lenses again. I had tried them about 15 years ago and found them really uncomfortable but the pair I have in now are nothing short of amazing. After a while you actually forget they are in there. I could definitely get used to wearing these more often.

====================================================================

I must say I am having a huge ball playing for "Leader Of The Pack" for Northern. It's a great and friendly cast with some old and some new faces amongst them. Always a pleasure to work with people like Michelle Brow, Gus Smith, Mel Smith and Kate Dempsey and to be conducted by the wonderful Kim Clark is an added bonus. It's a great little band, too. We have three performances this week and three next week. If you are up Elizabeth way then go and see it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a fabulous effort - I can't remember the last time I exercised for an hour, or even at all! Contact lenses have come a long way in 15 years - I wear mine all day every day with no problems at all. Good luck getting used to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already getting used to them- the hardest part is still putting the blessed things in. After that it's all smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your quote, Rodders:

    "Just one of those moments when you sense something bigger out there. There's an endgame in here somewhere, I can just sense it."

    That's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete