Monday, June 14, 2010

My Top Ten Songs

After my last blog, something a little lighter.... and totally inspired by Nicole Molloy's blog on the same topic (that's the sound of me being a sheep...)

I couldn't possibly find a proper order for these songs so I'll just list you ten of my favourite songs (click on the title for a youtube link to the song in question)


After the departure of their most revered lead singer, Ian Gillan, and their brilliant bassist and songwriter Roger Glover, you could be forgiven for thinking that Deep Purple would just give up. Instead they hired David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes and kept right on going. The first song off of the first album with these two is quite simply one of the best songs DP ever did. The drums are like pounding cannons, Jon Lords throws in an amazing keyboard and Ritchie Blackmore, as per usual, blows the socks off of every other guitarist in the business. 6 minutes of white knuckle pounding rock...


One of my most favourite love songs ever. Katie has a beautifully fragile voice here. The string arrangement is wonderful- and the addition of the mandolin inspired. But more than any of that, it's the beautiful and haunting lyrics that get me every time. This is a wedding song if I ever heard it.


Oh yes. I'm going there. Have you ever sat down and listened to what this song is about? A father's final words to his daughter before she heads off. I always envisage he's alone and she's has turned up at his house and seen him by himself but instead of being downtrodden he gives her this beautiful piece of advice- always believe in your soul. There's nothing left for me to do, you're everything I had hoped you be. For a band in their mid twenties, this was remarkably mature writing. Tony Hadley has amazing vocal chops, his technique is flawless here (remember this is pre-Protools). Beautifully produced and performed.


There are so many ELO songs I could have listed here, but I'm going to go with this one, as it really is one their very, very best numbers. So bright, happy and catchy. You hear this once, you'll never forget it. This is the finale to side 3 of their "Out Of The Blue" album and it's the finale of their "Concerto For A Rainy Day". You can just hear the sunshine in every pore of this song.


Haunting, evocative and so brilliantly underplayed. Anyone who has followed me on facebook will know how highly I regard Kate's music. This song- one of her earliest- is a great reason why. How do you describe that moment when you wake up next to the person you love? That moment when nothing else in the world matters- it's just you and them. Kate does an absolutely brilliant job of describing it.


This song is just one of my all time favourites. The lyrics make no sense at all, but in this case, who cares? This song has a brilliant vocal performance from Ed Kowalcyk on top of some outstanding playing from the rest of the band- added in to that is a great string arrangement. I just love the way it dips down quietly and then explodes out of the blocks with an almost primal scream. Crank this one loud and proud...


Long before John Simm's series of the same name propelled this into the musical stratosphere it was one of my favourite Bowie numbers. What an amazing vocal performance (stretching nearly two octaves) and beautifully arranged, produced and performed. This was Bowie at his absolute creative and artistic peak.


This song is one of those numbers I loved the second I heard it. From the moment the bass kicks in with a brilliant riff this hooks you in. Jon delivers things with a powerful punch (as usual), Richie Sambora chugs along for most of the song and then nails a fantastic solo. This was a remarkably great period for Bon Jovi. The whole album is brilliant but the title track for me is one of their finest ever.


Again, so many Queen songs I could have picked, but it's this one that sneaks over the line. Why? Freddie Mercury proves why he is the greatest vocalist in rock history. Just an all out rock pounder. I swear Roger Taylor sounds like he's about to break cymbals during this one. Brian May is in outstanding form too. The production is brilliant as well. loved this song from the moment I heard it as well. Yes, THAT'S why I picked this one over the others...


Another rock classic that has embedded itself into my subconscious. The drums don't pound, they BATTER. Bruce Dickinson shows amazing vocal chops and it's all capped off with a brilliant guitar solo in the middle. This is a Maiden classic. And a fitting end to my top ten list.


1 comment:

  1. For ages was sure the Bon Jovi song was telling the person in the song that they had a 'Pizza Face'.

    ReplyDelete