Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sydney (Part 2) and beyond

It occurs to me that I haven't yet finished my ruminations on my Sydney trip and the subsequent Adelaide performance of Mahler 8 so I think I need to finish that part of my blog before I can officially "move on".
When I last wrote about the trip I was almost at performance stage. I think it was on the Thursday of our first performance. I wasn't feeling very well- my throat had finally succumbed to the humidity and constant singing of the week. However- I made it through our first performance and was relatively happy with the both my own performance and the performance as a whole. There's something very special about singing in the Opera House. It may not have the nicest acoustics, the lights look like giant toilet seats, and the seating looks very 70's, but it is still an amazing experience.
On the Friday we did a what is known as a "patching call"- where any bits that didn't quite work we resang to an empty auditorium (the performances were recorded for a cd to come out later). During the run of that my voice completely went dry and I started coughing. I went home early and rested. Fortunately by the time the following night rolled around I was ready for action.
It was a major event in my life. After the nearly 90 minutes running time the Sydney audience leapt to it's feet and cheered as one. It reminded me of standing onstage at the end of the Ring cycle in 2004. Just one of those moments that lives with you forever I reckon.
So the musical side of the trip was definitely brilliant. Working with the SSO and Vladimir Ashkenazy was an amazing experience. I don't know if I'll ever have that experience again to be honest. The professionalism of those involved was wonderful, and we were- for the most part- treated wonderfully.
Probably the only downside for me was the expense of it all. We didn't get paid for anything and we did this off our bat. The public transport costs alone for the week amounted to $120! Not to mention buying meals, cough lollies, etc. This was really the only downer for the trip (well, that and my voice caving in on the Friday then getting all those lovely blisters).
Arriving back in Adelaide, we went back into the final rehearsals for the Adelaide performance. It's hard to go back a step having had such a buzz in Sydney. many of the touring party felt like it was superfluous.
The Adelaide performance was a lively and energetic one. Arvo Volmer had a great concept of the work (even if a little hurried), and the ASO were as good as the SSO. The soloists were perhaps not as strong a lineup as in Sydney but they were still good.
The only letdown was the venue. The Adelaide Entertainment Center is great for rock concerts, Disney on Ice, WWE wrestling and the like, but for the nuance and dynamic contrasts of Mahler (or any work from the classical repertoire) it was like playing in a tin shed. Funny, because that's exactly what the AEC is....
Oh sure, they used mics and foldback but it was just not the same as the feeling of hearing the organ rumble under your feet and this sense that you were part of a greater whole. Instead it felt like there was me, about five people immediately around me and an orchestra in the distance. It was a bit of a shame really.
One thing though that Adelaide did have over Sydney. A decent cast party. Yup- in Sydney the choir had to buy their own drinks and food at the thank you party put on by the SSO. That's right- NOTHING was free. (Apparently we were supposed to get some photographic souvenir from the event but it hasn't shown up yet- two months after the event). But at the Adelaide gig we got free drinks and nibbles. Wine, champers, Coopers, Soft drink, all free.
On looking back over the whole thing I feel immensely proud of myself for the effort I made in learning this work. It's an amazing piece of music- one I never thought I'd sing. I will walk away from this whole experience with the joy of Mahler renewed in me yet again....

...not that it ever left me to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment